from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In the place of something previously mentioned; as a substitute or an equivalent: Having planned to drive, we walked instead.
- adv. In preference; as an alternative: yearned instead for a home and family.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In the place of something (usually mentioned earlier); as a substitute or alternative
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In the place or room; -- usually followed by of.
- adv. Equivalent; equal to; -- usually with of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In the stead; in place or room; hence, in equivalence or substitution: followed by of.
- In its stead; in place of it, or of the thing or act mentioned.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in place of, or as an alternative to
- adv. on the contrary
Through my policy, which he arraigns, instead of the Thebans invading this country with Philip, as all expected, they joined our ranks and prevented him; instead of the war being in Attica, it took place seven hundred furlongs from the city on the confines of Botia; instead of corsair issuing from Euba to plunder us, Attica was in peace on the coast-side during the whole war; instead of Philip being master of the Hellespont by taking Byzantium, the Byzantines were our auxiliaries against him Does this computation of services, think you, resemble the casting of accounts?
I’ll pipe in that sometimes when searching it’s less effective for results to use layman terms – instead of “high blood sugar” it’s easier to search for “hyperglycemia”….instead of “fat” use “lipids”…..instead of “high blood pressure” use “hypertension – since many of the journals are targeting medical and scientific readers used to the medicalese.
Ms. Anderson said Chinese customers will buy a bottle of French Bordeaux because it had "Bordeaux" on the label instead of a comparable Australian wine.
Their study also found that most people typically read only the first five lines of a label, but did much better when the information was placed in the center of a label instead of the side.
The label instead signed the Tremeloes while the Beatles went to Parlophone.
According to the article, the show's name instead is short for "Wow That's Funny!"
If you're signed into a Google Account, the redesign now displays your name instead of your e-mail address at the top right.
If we live out our faith and truly live by our word instead of arguing, fighting and killing each other in the name of religion, causing even greater devastation, then tragedies like this could be quickly resolved, perhaps even avoided.
Your energy is spent holding back your expression instead of responding to the warnings from your root voice.
Now she wears running shoes and baggy slacks, has a sort of bowl haircut, and goes by her nickname instead of Charlotte.