from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Football A place kick in football that starts play at the beginning of a half or after a team has scored.
- n. Sports A kick of a stationary ball from the middle of the field in soccer that starts play at the beginning of a half or after a goal has been scored.
- n. Sports A similar kick in Rugby.
- n. Informal A beginning: the kickoff of a charity campaign.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of kick-off.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kick from the center of the field to start a football game or to resume it after a score.
- n. the time at which an event or activity begins.
- intransitive v. To kick the football from the center of the field to start a football game or to resume it after a score.
- transitive v. to begin; to commence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The first kick in a game of foot-ball.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a start given to contestants
- n. (football) a kick from the center of the field to start a football game or to resume it after a score
- n. the time at which something is supposed to begin
- v. commence officially
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Holliday also led the Tigers in kickoff returns (22 for a 22.4 average), but junior CB Ron Brooks (13-19. 4) is back.
Also, kickoff is set for 3: 30 and the game will be broadcast on ESPNU.
Remember kickoff is scheduled for noon and the game will be broadcast by the ACC Network (formerly Raycom).
In what some are calling his kickoff speech of the 2012 campaign, candidate Obama this week delivered a long-anticipated address on the deficit.
Three times an all-pro, Gray led the league in kickoff - and punt-return average twice each.
The 5-foot-7-inch, 150-pound rookie phenom is among the NFL leaders in kickoff and punt returns.
The regular season kickoff is not until Sept. 10, when Tennessee takes on the Steelers in Pittsburgh, but the marketing has begun with an ad campaign airing in preseason games.
The players were in kickoff formation when the decision was made to clear the field and advise the fans to leave the stadium as lightning flashed in the approaching storm.
He had his best season last year when he led the league in kickoff-return yardage, kickoff-return average and all-purpose yards.
About him: Davis rejuvenated his career last season when he tied for the lead league in kickoff-return TDs with three and had a 30. 3-yard kick-return average, second-best in the NFL.