from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A defensive encampment encircled by armored vehicles or wagons.
- intransitive v. To camp in a defensive encirclement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A defensive encampment encircled by wagons, especially by South African Boers.
- n. A temporary formation of armoured vehicles for resupply.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A camp, especially one surrounded by a circular formation of travelers' wagons for temporary defense.
- v. To form into, or camp in, a laager, or protected camp.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In South Africa, an encampment; an inclosure for temporary defense formed of the wagons of a traveling party.
- To arrange in such a way as to form a defensive inclosure; arrange so as to form a laager: as, to laager wagons.
- To halt and form a laager; encamp in a laager: as, we laagered five miles farther on.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a camp defended by a circular formation of wagons
The laager was a twelve-foot-high barbed wire enclosure, eighty feet wide by three hundred long, with the hut occupying the greater part of the central space.
The Escape of a Princess Pat Being the full account of the capture and fifteen months' imprisonment of Corporal Edwards, of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, and his final escape from Germany into Holland
Encircling his laager was another chain of "randten" entirely occupied and fortified, and we soon realised what a large and entrenched stretch of ground it was.
About a hundred and fifty yards to the left of the laager was a little dell where I had hidden my horse, together with one belonging to the Boers, and my saddle and bridle.
The presence of women in our laager was a great hindrance to me in my work.
Although there is a growing black elite who can now afford to join the 'laager', a recent survey reveals that only 2% of blacks have a private security or armed response system - in contrast to 45% of whites - demonstrating that the preoccupation with criminal violence and victimization plays out in racially, as well as economically, defined ways.
The NNP claims that the choice is between its co-operative governance with the ANC or retreating with the DA into a "laager" of minorities.
A Volkstaat would be a "laager" from which Afrikaner culture and identity could contribute to South African society.
The white minority will be even more of a minority, trapped in their "laager".
But the English had fortified their position in the night with ditches, palisades, and a 'laager' of wagons.
North of the river, some cannon were placed in advanced works, three-quarters of a mile from the rifle pits, between which and the river, in the open, was the "laager" of ammunition and other wagons.