from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A terrestrial crab of the tropical family Gecarinidae, having a large square body.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the land-based crabs of the Gecarcinidae family
- n. Any of the land-based crabs of the order Gecarcinucidae family
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of various species of crabs which live much on the land, and resort to the water chiefly for the purpose of breeding. They are abundant in the West Indies and South America. Some of them grow to a large size.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A crab of terrestrial rather than aquatic habits, such as any of the Gecarcinidæ. Also called mountain-crab.
- n. A burrowing crayfish, Engæus fossor, of Tasmania and Victoria (Australia), which forms crab-holes.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.