from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various chiefly nocturnal, insectivorous birds of the family Caprimulgidae, especially those in the genus Caprimulgus.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A bird, Caprimulgus europæus, of the family Caprimulgidæ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A goatsucker, esp. the European species. See
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any of various medium-sized nocturnal
birdsof the family Caprimulgidae, that feed predominantly on mothsand other large flying insects.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun mainly crepuscular or nocturnal nonpasserine birds with mottled greyish-brown plumage and large eyes; feed on insects
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[night + jar (from their harsh calls).]
Sorry, no example sentences found.