from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. The process of printing from a raised inked surface.
  • n. Something printed in this fashion.
  • n. Chiefly British The text, as of a book, distinct from illustrations or other ornamentation.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The printing process in which ink is applied to the top surface of a raised image area, which is then pressed against paper to transfer the image.
  • n.  : printing directly from type, in distinction from printing from plates.
  • n. a machine used for such printing.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. Print; letters and words impressed on paper or other material by types; -- often used of the reading matter in distinction from the illustrations.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Letters or words impressed on paper or other material from printing-types; printed text: so called when subordinate to or in contrast with illustrations.
  • Consisting of, relating to, or employed in printing from types: as, letterpress printing.
  • n. A press for copying letters by transfer; a copying-press.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. printing from a plate with raised characters


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.