librocubicularist love



from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A person who reads in bed.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • One who reads in bed.

    May 12, 2008

  • one who reads in bed

    August 6, 2009

  • Coined by Christopher Morley in his novel "The Haunted Bookshop." The coinage ascribed to the character Roger Mifflin, the proprietor of the bookshop. Circa 1919.

    March 2, 2010

  • "Librocubicularist" is actually one letter longer (17) than its definition: one who reads in bed. (16)

    There should be a word for words in this bloated class. Sesquipedalian and Polysyllabic don't quite fit. Time for a neologism. Let me suggest "polyepistularian."

    December 7, 2012

  • Seven-syllable English words such as this one are collected here. As for a term for words in this bloated class, I prefer the pedestrian mouthful in casual speech.

    December 7, 2012

  • There isn't even an agreed upon term for multi-book readers. There are bibliophiles — lovers of books. There are bibliotaphs — hoarders of books, with the intent of keeping the books out of the hands of others. There's even a word for people who like to read in bed — librocubicularist. But no succinct way of summing up the act of reading more than one book at at time.

    But that doesn't mean the internet hasn't tried to come up with a term on their own. I've seen "parallel readers" (recently suggested in a Quora forum). "Polynarritivus," from a Bookstr article last year. And "poly-reader," from a 2010 NPR piece.

    Maddy Foley, How to Read More Than One Book at a Time, According to Reddit Users Who Do It, Bustle (Sept. 6, 2018)

    September 11, 2018

  • Uh, there's a word for that? Um, okay...

    November 30, 2018