from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device that converts electric signals to audible sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An electromechanical transducer that converts an electrical signal into audible sound.
- n. An encasing containing one or more loudspeaker devices and usually other electrical equipment such as a driver.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A device which converts electrical signals into sounds loud enough to be heard at a distance, usually outdoors; it is used to amplify or transmit over a distance speech from a person, who is typically speaking into a microphone. Sometimes it is used to play recorded speech or music.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. electro-acoustic transducer that converts electrical signals into sounds loud enough to be heard at a distance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The loudspeaker is replaced by a microphone, which picks up sound.
At present the loudspeaker is the enemy of the creative writer, but this may not necessarily remain true when the volume and scope of broadcasting increase.
Suddenly, the entire campsite, the whole upper surface of the plateau was bathed in powerful white light, and there was a voice, in labored English, coming over some kind of loudspeaker from the air above them.
All of the colonising countries acted as a kind of loudspeaker, in London, Paris and Lisbon for African music, but
The Home Theatre core is "loudspeaker" which is source of sound and "reader" which is source of images.
Finally, Apple developed an ecosystem, encouraging other companies to develop add-on products such as loudspeaker systems, accessories for playing the music over automobile sound systems, accessories that enhanced the iPod's capabilities, turning it into a stopwatch, a voice-recording device, and a storage device.
K1 Loudspeaker Merges Functionality With Elegance - Klangfluss Manufaktur GmbH has unveiled their K1 loudspeaker which is capable of delivering high-quality audio with unparalleled live sound.
When I visited in 1979 it was a grim city where every pedestrian dressed in a drab gray Mao jacket and every street corner had a loudspeaker repeating the sayings of Mao.
A car would travel ahead of Humphrey from town to town, with a loudspeaker to drum up a crowd, then Hubert would pull in riding in a flatbed truck, and he would speak from the back.
Can Muslims build a mosque, complete with a loudspeaker to call worshippers to prayer?