from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. One that magnifies, especially a magnifying glass.
  • n. A system of optical components that magnifies.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. That which magnifies.
  • n. A magnifying glass.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One who, or that which, magnifies.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One who or that which magnifies or enlarges.
  • n. Specifically, an optical instrument that magnifies; a convex lens, a concave mirror, or a combination of lenses or mirrors, which increases the apparent magnitude of bodies.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a scientific instrument that magnifies an image


to magnify + -er (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.