from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of mantle.
- n. The representation of a mantle, or the drapery behind and around a coat of arms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The representation of a mantle, or the drapery behind and around a coat of arms: -- called also lambrequin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of cloth suitable for making mantles or the like.—2. In the manufacture of alum from aluminous shales or alum ores, a layer of calcined shale spread over a partly or completely calcined heap of the same material, to moderate the heat, prevent loss of sulphur, and protect the mass from the detrimental effects of wind and rain during the calcination and cooling.
- n. In heraldry: The drapery which is often used as a background to a shield, crest, etc., originally perhaps the mantelet of the helmet or cointoise.
- n. A mantelet, lambrequin, or cointoise. Also mantle.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The music, as well as his words, had floated to the deep bay window; the curtains had swiftly and noiselessly parted, and she was stealing after his retreating figure with an expression mantling her face which brought out every detail of its great beauty.
The Romney campaign is better at dismantling than mantling.
Sohothin engulfed the weapon, fire mantling the hammerhead.
Like I said previously, your boy handles almost perfectly (I wished that grenades could be thrown a bit farther) and there are no problems with the running, jumping, crouching or mantling (climbing over obstacles) mechanics.
The act of hiding the food with outspread wings and tail while it eats is called “mantling.”
Fire flies to it and begins mantling as she eats it.
He spreads his wings and tail over the prize, mantling, as he tears at the meat.
Darkwind looked startled; the gryphons were mantling and the little ones hid under their wings.
What would be wrong with that, isn't that exactly what we need -- national attention on these skunks and the businesses behind their donors -- to start dis-mantling the right-wing noise machine?
Region-wide unifying features include a lack of Pleistocene glaciation, a continental climate, a mantling of undifferentiated alluvium and slope deposits, a predominance of forests dominated by spruce and hardwood species, and a very high frequency of lightning fires.