from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A short ornamental drapery for the top of a window or door or the edge of a shelf.
  • noun A heavy protective cloth worn over a helmet in medieval times.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A piece of textile fabric, leather, or the like, hanging by one of its edges, and typically having the opposite edge dagged, slitted, scalloped, or otherwise cut in an ornamental manner: used in several ways.
  • noun In decorative art, painting on a surface more or less imitating or resembling a lambrequin, as in some Chinese vases, in which the upper part of the body is covered by solid decoration having a lower edge of jagged or ornamented outline.
  • noun In heraldry, the mantelet, represented as floating from the helmet, and often forming an important part of the ornamental decoration of the achievement.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A kind of pendent scarf or covering attached to the helmet, to protect it from wet or heat.
  • noun A leather flap hanging from a cuirass.
  • noun A piece of ornament drapery or short decorative hanging, pendent from a shelf or from the casing above a window, hiding the curtain fixtures, or the like.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A short decorative drapery for a shelf edge or for the top of a window casing; a valance.
  • noun An ornamental hanging over upper part of window or along the edge of a shelf.
  • noun A border pattern with draped effect used in ceramics.
  • noun A covering for a helmet.
  • noun In heraldry, drapery attached to a helmet.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun short and decorative hanging for a shelf edge or top of a window casing
  • noun a scarf that covers a knight's helmet


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[French, probably from Dutch *lamperkijn, diminutive of Middle Dutch lamper, veil.]



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • What stores use in the windows to display their best wool sweaters.

    April 5, 2009

  • LOL

    May 21, 2011