from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Chilean evergreen shrub (Aristotelia chilensis) bearing edible purple berries.
- n. A Chilean wine made from the fruit of this plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A South American shrub (Aristotelia maqui).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Chilian shrub (Aristotelia Maqui). Its bark furnishes strings for musical instruments, and a medicinal wine is made from its berries.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Chilian evergreen or subevergreen shrub, Aristotelia Maqui, of the natural order Tiliaceœ.
- n. A tract of land on the shores of the Mediterranean, especially in Corsica, characterized by a silicious soil and occupied by a sclerophyllous vegetation more luxuriant and taller than that of the garrigues, but mainly bush, with a few trees, in France chiefly Pinus Pinaster and Quercus Suber. See garrigue.
Acaena ovalifolia has become a widespread weed on Isla R. Crusoe, together with the two most noxious pests in the islands, namely Aristotelia chilensis ( "maqui") and Rubus ulmifolius ( "zarzamora").
_ We can hardly suppose that our English words are derived from Syriac words in use fourteen centuries ago, or that the latter were "modified from _maqui_" by "infantine" or other influences.
_Maqui_ is Early Welsh for _son_, and those to whom Mr. Skeat's modified _maqui_ seems absurd will be pleased to find its absurdity indicated, if not proved, by a Greek author of the sixth century.
He pokon re runa ahauh ri nimak achij, maqui xe ruya ri hitol quij.
Nabey [c] a xe [c] iz apon ronohel ahlabal, tanti qui xibih quij, maqui tan quetiquer chu camiçaxic.
Xepe chi [c] a chiri xei [c] o chipe Çeçic Ynup rubi, xaceel chuvi choy; ri ynup maqui na tiquil, mani ruxe ri ynup, xatibilan chuvi ya.
Tunatiuh, maqui y [c] o vinak ru [c] ux Tunatiuh chi labal.
Ok xe apon [c] i xcha [c] a Ah [c,] iquinahay: quekahiah ree ru çamahal Tepeuh, kitzih tixibin qui naval; kaya quixhayil, ka [c] ama can qui xet; xecha, maqui
Cani [c] a xecha ri Caynoh, Cayba [c,]; Mani ko be maqui pe [c] oh yvahaual
Tok xpe [c] a ul ahauh Y [c] hal, tzatz rachihilal xpe naual ahauh [c] a ri Y [c] hal, xcha can ru pixa chi rochoch: Vue quinul vue maqui chic quinul, vue yn camel; vae xquibe xcha can ahauh.