from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A strip of wood or metal separating and holding panes of glass in a window.
  • noun A vertical framing member set between two rails in a door or in paneling.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The central vertical piece that divides the panels of a door.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Arch.) Same as mullion; -- especially used in joiner's work.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun One of the separators between panes of glass in a composite window.


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Middle English mountaunt, upright post or stud, from Old French montant, from present participle of monter, to mount; see mount.]



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "And then came the mud. In it sloshed, through the broken windows. Thick mud, watery mud, rocky mud, mud with beveled-glass shards, mud with window muntins, mud with grass, mud with barbecue utensils, mud with a mosaic birdbath."

    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, p 76

    October 24, 2013

  • What stile!

    October 25, 2013