from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. speech conducted in a hushed manner, akin to a whisper or a murmur.
- n. A comatose patient's action of forming words with his lips without producing sound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A speaking in a low tone; mumbling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mumbling or muttering.
- n. In pathology, movement of the lips and tongue as in speaking, but without articulation: a sign of bad omen in disease.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a low continuous indistinct sound; often accompanied by movement of the lips without the production of articulate speech
Latin mussātĭo, ceasing to speak (Wiktionary)
315 Certain parts should be recited aloud (jahr) and others sotto voce (with mussitation = Khafi).
Not conversation by any civilized standard, but a kind of a mussitation, the prisoner’s half-mime half-whisper, under the nodding eye of an orderly.