from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. speech conducted in a hushed manner, akin to a whisper or a murmur.
- n. A comatose patient's action of forming words with his lips without producing sound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A speaking in a low tone; mumbling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mumbling or muttering.
- n. In pathology, movement of the lips and tongue as in speaking, but without articulation: a sign of bad omen in disease.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a low continuous indistinct sound; often accompanied by movement of the lips without the production of articulate speech
315 Certain parts should be recited aloud (jahr) and others sotto voce (with mussitation = Khafi).
Not conversation by any civilized standard, but a kind of a mussitation, the prisoner’s half-mime half-whisper, under the nodding eye of an orderly.