from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Primitive, old-fashioned, opposed to change (in allusion to the now extinct species Homo neanderthalensis).
- n. A primitive person or a person with old-fashioned ideas or who opposes change.
- n. A specimen of the now extinct species Homo neanderthalensis.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. uncouth in manners or appearance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. ill-mannered and coarse and contemptible in behavior or appearance
- adj. relating to or belonging to or resembling Neanderthal man
- n. extinct robust human of Middle Paleolithic in Europe and western Asia
| Reply | Permalink yes, jimmy raised billy, made him a drunk. and i don't recall the neanderthal ravings of hugh rodham. enlighten me.
I have had back and fort over rail projects with supporters for years, and I am always particularly amazed at how supporters treat me like some kind of neanderthal (e.g. “the debate is over!” and “rail is settled policy.”) I finally figured out the other day how to characterize rail supporters arguments.
My only criticism with this particular speech has nothing to do with the "neanderthal" comment but, rather, with her clumsy use of metaphor ...
Oh, and I looked it up, both "neanderthal" and "neandertal" are acceptable pronunciations and variant spellings.
Our brains seem to have the capacity for both civilized and "neanderthal" behavior.
If I think a few men carefully distinguished from the vast majority of prospective fathers are in a problematic situation, how is that to be taken as some kind of neanderthal declaration that men are good and women are bad?
This results in some kind of neanderthal tribal chant among the Japanese geeks, and if you don't know what I'm talking about, see this video for reference.
All he needs is the a more pronounced neanderthal brow.
The sheer stupidity and ignorance of these knuckle dragging neanderthal conservatives is simply astonishing.
What if they gave the wrong address and some gun toting idiot neanderthal coward decides to take matters into his own hands and harms someone in the case of mistaken identity.