from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An iron-headed golf club with the face slanted at a greater angle than any other iron except a wedge; a nine iron.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. (dated) A metal headed golf club with a large highly lofted head. Replaced by a sand iron or wedge in a modern set of clubs
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of golf stick used to lift the ball out of holes, ruts, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of club used in the game of golf, having a dumpy cup-shaped iron head. It is used to jerk the ball out of sand, ruts, rough ground, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an iron with considerable loft
So the Minister realized he was bunkered and had to fall back on his niblick -- in other words confess his error to the House.
For instance, the niblick is a short club for taking the ball out of difficult positions ( "lies") as when the latter gets into long grass, sand or some other awkward kind of obstruction.
"If the thing was to be done at all," observes the Oldest Member, approvingly, "it was unquestionably a niblick shot."
She eventually snaps and lets him have it in the head with her niblick.
The various rules governing who can and can't hoist their mashie niblick around the famous Old Course – let alone who can sip a reviving Gin and It in the clubhouse – are rather too byzantine for speedy summary and perhaps in any case beyond the understanding of fluffy-headed ladies.
Look at how the golf club has been taken out of the hands of the greatest athlete who ever held a niblick.
Tiger Woods remains in the wilderness not because of his epic, priapic misadventures, but because he can't seem to get the old niblick working.
And, hey Tiger, we all know your wife beat the poop out of you with a mashie niblick.
You DO know a “niblick” is a 9-iron and not gibberish, right?
This story did not propose the only solution, niblick, just one that worked for the heroine.