from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Remaining in the nest after hatching until grown or nearly grown. Used of a bird.
- adjective Sharing the nest of another species of animal.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Abiding in the nest; noting those birds which are hatched in a more or less holploss condition and remain for some time in the nest; altricial: contrasted with
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective zoology Tending to stay at the
nestor birthplacefor a long time after birth, due to dependenceon the parentsfor feeding and protection.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective (of birds) remaining in the nest for a time after hatching
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Latin nīdus, nest; see sed- in Indo-European roots + –colous.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.