from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An antibiotic, C46H77NO19, produced by the actinomycete Streptomyces noursei and used especially in the treatment of fungal infections.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An antifungal drug used especially against Candida
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An antifungal antibiotic, extracted from fermentation broths of the soil actinomycete Streptomyces noursei and other actinomycetes; called also fungicidin. It is a polyene macrolide antibiotic, and consists of several related components. Component nystatin A1 has formula C47H75NO17.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an antifungal and antibiotic (trade names Mycostatin and Nystan) discovered in New York State; derived from soil fungi actinomycetes
You may also need an anti-fungal such as nystatin or fluconazole for two to four weeks.
• Treat yeast overgrowth with antifungal drugs such as nystatin or Diflucan or herbs such as oregano or caprylic acid.
The medicines most commonly prescribed by a health care worker for treatment of oral fungal infections are antifungal agents such as nystatin or clotrimazole.
Anti-fungal medications such as nystatin, clotrimazole, ketoconazole and fluconazole are used for treating thrush.
I also gave her nystatin (a non-absorbed anti-fungal) to treat suspected yeast because of her multiple courses of antibiotics.
Unfortunately, many fungal organisms are resistant to nystatin and you may need stronger medications.
Yeast should be treated with a topical antifungal medicine such as nystatin four times a day.
Chemist Rachel Fuller Brown (1898-1980), co-discoverer of the antibiotic nystatin and more (Unfortunately just the accomplishments are listed, but not the women's names, which are left as an exercise for the reader.)
Your tongue can also develop cysts, ulcers, herpes infections, and yeast infections which are called thrush; milk of magnesia or nystatin can chase the yeast right out of your mouth.
Yeast overgrowth can be easily treated with the prescription antibiotic nystatin.