from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Exhibiting bad taste: an off-color joke.
- adj. Varying from the usual, expected, or required color.
- adj. Not in good health or spirits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. dirty, vulgar or obscene
- adj. different than usual
- adj. in poor health
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. humorously vulgar; mildly obscene; risque.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not of standard coloration; differing from the shade or pattern of color considered as characteristic. The term is generally applied to domesticated animals.
- Somewhat improper or indecent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. in violation of good taste even verging on the indecent
- adj. humorously vulgar
Sorry, no etymologies found.
They found their patrons were more willing to pay money to see an off-color than a decent one.
She laughed easily, and told off-color jokes now and then, too, that made him laugh.
That was followed by an off-color declaration about his sister-in-law at Brennan's in July of 2009 that was filmed and posted on YouTube.
Rigo and its off-color, or rather on-color, confection was but one stop that the baker and I—she's been on Duane Street for two decades, and before that owned Lanciani, a bakery in the Village—visited during a trip down petit four memory lane.
Penguins fans jeered, made cracks about Stanley Cup deficits and Ovechkin chokes, about history and heartache, some that were off-color and some that were G-rated.
The worst smack of tawdriness, even indecency, which is why puns, like off-color jokes, are often followed by apologies.
To do that, there will be times when I'll need to understand slangy, off-color, and downright weird words -- all kinds -- if for no other reason than to understand what people around me are saying.
PBS ombudsman Michael Getler, on the other hand, admits the joke was a bit off-color and believes producers should have used another name in the skit.
My favorite moments are the rare off-color ones, like when the girl in the picture above tells the nuns her band is named Bubblegum Orgy, and nuns respond with polite laughter.
Wednesday's opening mock "apology" for Steven Tyler's "outrageous behavior," followed by another off-color clip though far from Tyler's best, fell flat and backfired.