from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A fine-grained whetstone lubricated with oil, used for fine sharpening.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To rub, or sharpen or polish by rubbing, on an oilstone.
- noun A slab of fine-grained stone used for imparting a keen edge to tools, and so called because oil is used for lubricating its rubbing-surface. Fine oilstones are often made of novaculite, a fine-grained variety of quartz.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A variety of hone slate, or whetstone, used for whetting tools when lubricated with oil.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A type of
stoneused for sharpeningobjects such as knivesand razorblades.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a whetstone for use with oil
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
‘Sol Chickerel?’ said the man addressed, as he touched his plane-iron upon the oilstone.
The reciprocating movement of the tool on the oilstone or vice versa is continued until the burr is removed and the cutting edge has a bright appearance.
A specially shaped oilstone is required for sharpening the tubes.
Thereby the oilstone is moved by hand in a circular motion on the tool cutting edge.
If possible, the oilstone should have a fine grain.
The burr produced is removed by alternately stoning the two bevels of the cutting edge with circulating movements of a wetted oilstone.
In doing so, the scraper has to be drawn over the oilstone from either side of the cutting edge alternately and in an inclined position till the burr - which this way is bent for several times - is neatly removed.
An oilstone or water lubricated stone may then be used to sharpen the cutting edge.
And he got that whet rock, an oilstone, and sharpened his knife just like a razor.
Instead of using the oilstone an easier, tho less perfect, way to flatten out the burr on the edges is to lay the scraper flat on the bench near the edge.