from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fine-grained whetstone lubricated with oil, used for fine sharpening.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of stone used for sharpening objects such as knives and razorblades.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A variety of hone slate, or whetstone, used for whetting tools when lubricated with oil.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A slab of fine-grained stone used for imparting a keen edge to tools, and so called because oil is used for lubricating its rubbing-surface. Fine oilstones are often made of novaculite, a fine-grained variety of quartz.
- To rub, or sharpen or polish by rubbing, on an oilstone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a whetstone for use with oil
oil + stone (Wiktionary)