from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An upholstered sofa or divan without arms or a back.
- noun An upholstered low seat or cushioned footstool.
- noun A heavy silk or rayon fabric with a corded texture, usually used for coats and trimmings.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A piece of furniture forming a seat or seats, used in a drawing-room or sitting-room.
- noun A corded silk having large cords; a kind of gros-grain. Compare
- Pertaining to that branch of the Turks to which belong the founders and ruling class of the Turkish or Ottoman empire.
- noun One of that branch of the Turks which founded and rule the Turkish empire.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Of or pertaining to the Turks.
- noun A Turk.
- noun A stuffed seat without a back, originally used in Turkey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An
upholstered sofa, without armsor a back, sometimes with a compartmentfor storing linen, etc.
- noun A low
stoolor thick cushionused to rest the feetor as a seat.
- noun A
fabricwith a pronounced ribbedor cordedeffect, often made of silkor a mixture .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a Turk (especially a Turk who is a member of the tribe of Osman I)
- noun the Turkish dynasty that ruled the Ottoman Empire from the 13th century to its dissolution after World War I
- adjective of or relating to the Ottoman Empire or its people or its culture
- noun a low seat or a stool to rest the feet of a seated person
- noun thick cushion used as a seat
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
Awsome, love it. kast on 03 Feb 2009 at 6: 11 pm # the ottoman is very colourful stripey … love it. .and i love the green rug too, like the fotball field ..
Matthew Hilton has taken inspiration for the Berwick lounge chair and ottoman from the elegance and subtlety found in the work of Vico Magistretti.
By the window I have my writing chair and ottoman, which is where I work, and to one side of the chair, w/in arms 'reach, is a floor to ceiling bookshelf.
On the ottoman were a feather, a fan, and a deck of cards.
On the ottoman was a stack of magazines; Stone began to go through them.
The thought of constantly dragging furniture out of the way made a serious dent in our motivation, so putting wheels on our ottoman was a huge help in setting up a usable workout space (Check back tomorrow and we'll show you step-by-step how we did it).
Contrast that to an ottoman, which is a rigid and usually barrel-like form completely covered with fabric, leather, embroidery, or beading -- more like a caramel-filled chocolate.
The ottoman was a slice of gravy, the chair on the other hand was a tight fit!
Practical and stylish, the ottoman is a popular option in interiors today.
The ottoman should be the same width as the inside of the love seat.