from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bark-beetle. Tomicus typographus, so called in old German works.
- n. An abbreviation of Turkey;
- n. of Turkish.
- n. A member of the race now dominant in Turkey; an Ottoman. See Ottoman.
- n. In an extended sense, a member of a race regarded as related to the Mongols, and a branch of the Ural-Altaic family. In this sense the Turkish race includes the Petchenegs, Uzbegs, Turkomans, Ottoman Turks, etc.
- n. A savage fellow; a “Tartar”: as, he is a regular Turkish
- n. A Mohammedan: so called from Mohammedanism being the established religion of Turkey.
- n. A sword or saber, probably a simitar.
- n. A Turkish horse.
- n. In entomology, the plum-weevil or plum-curculio, Conotrachelus nenuphar: more fully little Turk: so called from the crescentic punctures made by the female, in allusion to the emblem of the Ottoman empire. See cut d under Conotrachclus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a native or inhabitant of Turkey
Sorry, no etymologies found.
View my friends blog for full details.hinduismglance. wordpress.com Ziauddin Barani a turk was the founder of caste system in 14th century India.
We all respect the German (not Nazi) savoir faire in scientific research and documentation personally i wasn't aware of slavic in the proximity of Berlin about the map it could be reffering to Pomachs of the Rodopes both North (Bulgarian) 250000 and south (greece) circa 750000 which are of Turk oriogin not Roma and speak a turk-slavic dialect they are Greek citizens and most of them speak Greek very well.
"Oh, cheese it, Geoff, here you've sat with your fork in th 'turk' an 'your knife in th' air, starin 'at that teapot a whole minute."
maybe Canty who did zip, get the freaking visit from the "turk".
Yes | No | Report from turk wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago
Yes | No | Report from turk wrote 11 weeks 3 days ago
Yes | No | Report from turk wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago
Yes | No | Report from turk wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago
Now 38, Mr. Berlanti got his start as a young turk in Hollywood.