from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Destructively or frenetically violent: a berserk worker who started smashing all the windows.
- adj. Mentally or emotionally upset; deranged: berserk with grief.
- adj. Informal Unrestrained, as with enthusiasm or appetite; wild: berserk over chocolates.
- n. One that is violent, upset, or unrestrained.
- n. A berserker.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A crazed Norse warrior who fought in a frenzy.
- adj. Injuriously, maniacally, or furiously violent or out of control.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. frenzied; crazed; usually in predicate position.
- n. One of a class of legendary heroes, who fought frenzied by intoxicating liquors, and naked, regardless of wounds.
- n. One who fights as if frenzied, like a Berserker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as berserker.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury
- adj. frenzied as if possessed by a demon
"You know he's a Scot; men of that country are" - I tried to think of a good synonym for "berserk" - "most fierce where questions of their honor are concerned."
Our expression going berserk pays homage to these warriors who, according to Fabing, ingested a psychoactive substance that put them into a state of frenzied rage, reckless courage, and enhanced physical strength.
When one understands and fully appreciates this inner world of the post traumatic stress victim, it is easier to understand why a veteran can go "berserk" killing his family and then taking his own life.
Britney Spears, apparently, as well, one of the big magazines saying that she went "berserk" at a photo shoot.
"Bridezillas," by the way, is a WE (ph) TV show all about brides that go kind of berserk while planning their weddings.
And what about your "berserk" episode on Bournemouth Station?
Her arms came around him and he lifted her up, jammed her back against the bulkhead and, putting his mouth against the side of her neck, rammed into her with a kind of berserk fury.
A US flight attendant who went "berserk" on a passenger and bailed out of his plane has quickly turned into something of a folk hero in the United States and around the world.
Animals are going "berserk" as more and more of their land is taken over by humans and cattle eat their food.
In June 2008 she was ordered to carry out 200 hours of community service for kicking and spitting at police officers after going "berserk" on an aircraft.