from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, characterized by, or arising from hysteria.
- adj. Having or prone to having hysterics.
- adj. Informal Extremely funny: told a hysterical story.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or arising from hysteria.
- adj. Having, or prone to having hysterics.
- adj. Provoking uncontrollable laughter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Extremely funny.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as hysteric, and the more common form.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by excessive or uncontrollable emotion
- adj. characterized by or arising from psychoneurotic hysteria
Some of the little folks we watch grow up to be young women, and occasionally one of them gets nervous, what we call hysterical, and then that girl will begin to play all sorts of pranks, -- to lie and cheat, perhaps, in the most unaccountable way, so that she might seem to a minister a good example of total depravity.
The mental benefits to children of all ages through the contact with animals by far exceed the dangers of what I call a hysterical reaction.
I find the term hysterical, and personally, I don’t think we use it nearly enough here in the colonies.
You should have inserted a pause right there to give the audience time to collapse in hysterical laughter.
I was at the airport, in hysterical tears, heartbroken, knowing that she was just too sick to make it through my 20 hour plane ride.
Enjoy the crowned oneâ€ ™ s antics in hysterical tales as he gets mixed up with weird science experiments, football foul-ups, and his cousin, Souphead!
Stranger still, the root of hysterical is the same as the root of hysterectomy: huster, from the Greek, for womb.
Following thanks to Janet Reid, just collapsed in hysterical laughter from the start.
Only slightly less hysterical is his description of why the city has an urban renewal agency:
As the anchor was hanging up on her, Brenda was in hysterical tears and pleading for her life.