from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A widely distributed butterfly (Vanessa cardui) having brown, black, and orange markings. Also called cosmopolite, thistle butterfly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cryptic patterned butterfly, Vanessa cardui, of the family Nymphalidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a bright-colored butterfly. See Thistle butterfly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The thistle-butterfly, Vanessa (or Pyrameis) cardui, of an orange-red color spotted with white and black. See cut in next column.
- n. The sweet pea, Lathyrus odoratus.
Sorry, no etymologies found.