from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An offering made to an adversary in the interests of peace or reconciliation.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun An offering that procures peace, reconciliation, or satisfaction; satisfaction offered to an offended person, especially to a superior.
- noun Specifically, an offering prescribed under the Levitical law as an expression of thanksgiving.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
religious sacrificein both Jewish, Christian, and Islamic traditions.
- noun An offering made to an
adversaryin the hopeof obtaining peace or reconciliation; an olive branch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun something offered to an adversary in the hope of obtaining peace
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.