from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See lamellibranch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the Pelecypoda.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A marine or freshwater mollusk having a soft body with platelike gills enclosed within two shells hinged together; a member of the Pelecypoda.
- adj. same as lamellibranchiate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a hatchet-shaped foot; of or pertaining to the Pelecypoda; lamellibranchiate, as a mollusk.
- n. A bivalve mollusk; a lamellibranch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. bivalve
- n. marine or freshwater mollusks having a soft body with platelike gills enclosed within two shells hinged together
Fenton and Fenton 1937 describe pelecypod burrows and trails near Dawson Pass.
It may thus be told from the pelecypod mollusk, such as the clam, whose two valves are not far from equal in size, each being divided into unequal parts by a line dropped from the beak.