from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of the bivalve mollusks of the class Lamellibranchia, including the clams, scallops, and oysters. Also called pelecypod.
- adj. Of or relating to lamellibranchs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any marine or freshwater bivalve mollusk, of the class Lamellibranchia; includes the clams, scallops and oysters
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Lamellibranchia (also called Pelecypoda). Also used adjectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having lamellate gills; pertaining to the Lamellibranchiata, or having their characters.
- n. One of the Lamellibranchiata, as any ordinary bivalve mollusk. Also lamellibranchiate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. marine or freshwater mollusks having a soft body with platelike gills enclosed within two shells hinged together
- adj. bivalve
From New Latin Lāmellibranchia, class name : lamelli- + Latin branchia, gill; see branchia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Jackson's  work on the mechanical origin of characters in the lamellibranch molluscs.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.