from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A unit of volume or capacity in the U.S. Customary System, used in liquid measure, equal to 1/8 gallon or 16 ounces (0.473 liter).
- n. A unit of volume or capacity in the U.S. Customary System, used in dry measure, equal to 1/16 peck or 1/2 quart (0.551 liter).
- n. A unit of volume or capacity in the British Imperial System, used in dry and liquid measure, equal to 0.568 liter. See Table at measurement.
- n. A container with a pint capacity.
- n. The amount of a substance that can be held in such a container.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A unit of volume, equivalent to ⅛ of a gallon or
- n. A pint of milk.
- n. A glass of beer, served by the pint.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A measure of capacity, equal to half a quart, or four gills, -- used in liquid and dry measures. See quart.
- n. The laughing gull.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A measure of capacity equal to half a quart.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a British imperial capacity measure (liquid or dry) equal to 4 gills or 568.26 cubic centimeters
- n. a United States liquid unit equal to 16 fluid ounces; two pints equal one quart
- n. a United States dry unit equal to 0.5 quart or 33.6 cubic inches
The prices are remarkably moderate in most of these places; the charge is no more than three-halfpence for half a pint of coffee, or _threepence for a whole pint_.
I'll be the first to say that a "pint" is the best measure for any good draft of beer.
I can also freeze liquids in pint or quart canning jars with the use of the special lid accessory, and then store them in the freezer as well.
Wilton ratcheted the hand brake and pulled a pint from the recesses of a worn denim jacket.
After the first pint is taken, secondary analysis is done on the blood.
Mention the blog and your first pint is on me. posted by Shaun at
Trying to match blokes pint for pint is a bad idea, but doing it with Stella Artois in 4 pint jugs is just suicide.
At one point he told me about the four pint paradox - his theory that the fourth pint is like the orgasm stage of a drinking sesh, and anything before that is just warming up, but anything beyond it is unpredictable.
Because wisdom and beauty and courage and laughter can all be measured in pint-pots.
For no one can love the part more than the whole till love can be measured in pint-pots.