from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A spiny evergreen tree (Citrus limon) native to Asia, widely cultivated for its oval yellow fruit.
- noun The fruit of this tree, having an aromatic rind and juicy, acid pulp.
- noun Lemon yellow.
- noun Informal One that is unsatisfactory or defective.
- adjective Lemon-yellow.
- adjective Made from lemons.
- adjective Tasting or smelling like lemons.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The fruit of the rutaceous tree Citrus Medica, var. Limonum.
- noun The tree that yields this fruit.
- noun The borhame or sand-sole, a kind of flatfish. See
- noun Having lemon as a principal ingredient; impregnated or flavored with lemon: as, lemon candy.
- noun Of the color of a lemon; lemon-colored: as, lemon silk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Bot.) An oval or roundish fruit resembling the orange, and containing a pulp usually intensely acid. It is produced by a tropical tree of the genus Citrus, the common fruit known in commerce being that of the species
Citrus Limonumor Citrus Medica(var. Limonum). There are many varieties of the fruit, some of which are sweet.
- noun The tree which bears lemons; the lemon tree.
- noun (Bot.) a fragrant East Indian grass (
Andropogon Shœnanthus, and perhaps other allied species), which yields the grass oil used in perfumery.
- noun (Zoöl.) a yellow European sole (
- noun (Chem.), [Colloq.] a white crystalline substance, inappropriately named, as it consists of an acid potassium oxalate and contains no citric acid, which is the characteristic acid of lemon; -- called also
salts of sorrel. It is used in removing ink stains. See Oxalic acid, under Oxalic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A yellowish
- noun A semitropical
evergreen tree, Citrus limon, that bears such fruits.
- noun A taste or
flavour/ flavorof lemons.
- noun A more or less bright
shadeof yellowassociated with lemon fruits.
- noun slang A
- noun Cockney rhyming slang
Smart; cheeky, vocal.
- noun Cockney rhyming slang
- noun A piece of
- adjective Containing or having the
flavour/ flavorand/or scentof lemons.
- adjective Of the pale yellow
colour/ colorof lemons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a distinctive tart flavor characteristic of lemons
- noun a small evergreen tree that originated in Asia but is widely cultivated for its fruit
- noun a strong yellow color
- noun yellow oval fruit with juicy acidic flesh
- noun an artifact (especially an automobile) that is defective or unsatisfactory
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English limon, from Old French, from Old Italian limone, from Arabic laymūn, ultimately from alteration (probably influenced by an Andalusian Romance augmentative suffix akin to Spanish -ón) of Persian līmū, lemon, any of various citrus fruits; see lime.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Old French lymon ("citrus"), from Arabic ليمون (laymūn) or Ottoman Turkish لیمون (limun), from Persian لیمو (limu). Cognate with Sanskrit निम्ब (nimbū, "lime").
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.