from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A corm-producing plant (Crocus sativus) native to the eastern Mediterranean region, having purple or white flowers with orange stigmas.
- noun The dried aromatic stigmas of this plant, used to color foods and as a cooking spice and dyestuff.
- noun A moderate or strong orange yellow to moderate orange.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To tinge with saffron; make yellow; gild; give color or flavor to.
- noun A product consisting of the dried stigmas of the flowers of the autumnal crocus, Crocus sativus.
- noun The plant which produces saffron, a low bul-bous herb, Crocus sativus, the autumnal crocus.
- Having the color given by an infusion of saffron-flowers, somewhat orange-yellow, less brilliant than chrome.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Having the color of the stigmas of saffron flowers; deep orange-yellow.
- transitive verb obsolete To give color and flavor to, as by means of saffron; to spice.
- noun (Bot.) A bulbous iridaceous plant (
Crocus sativus) having blue flowers with large yellow stigmas. See crocus.
- noun The aromatic, pungent, dried stigmas, usually with part of the stile, of the
Crocus sativus. Saffron is used in cookery, and in coloring confectionery, liquors, varnishes, etc., and was formerly much used in medicine.
- noun An orange or deep yellow color, like that of the stigmas of the
- noun (Bot.) See
- noun (Bot.) a bulbous plant (
Colchichum autumnale) of Europe, resembling saffron.
- noun (Bot.) the yellowish wood of a South African tree (
Elæodendron croceum); also, the tree itself.
- noun a shade of yellow like that obtained from the stigmas of the true saffron (
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The saffron crocus plant, Crocus sativus.
- noun A
seasoningmade from the stigmaof the saffron plant.
- noun A
dyemade from the stigmaof the saffron plant.
- noun An
orange- yellow colour. The color of a lion.
- adjective Having a orange-yellow colour.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a shade of yellow tinged with orange
- noun Old World crocus having purple or white flowers with aromatic pungent orange stigmas used in flavoring food
- noun dried pungent stigmas of the Old World saffron crocus
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English safroun, from Old French safran, from Medieval Latin safrānum, from Arabic za‘farān.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Old French safran, from Medieval Latin safranum, from Arabic زَعْفَرَان (za'farān), possibly from Persian زرپران (zar-parân).
Sorry, no example sentences found.