from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital of French Guiana, on Cayenne Island at the mouth of the Cayenne River. Founded by the French in 1643, it was the center of a penal colony from the 1850s until the 1940s. Population: 61,600.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The capital city of French Guiana.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Cayenne pepper.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as Cayenne pepper (which see, under pepper.)
- n. A card turned up in cayenne whist to determine the rank of the suits, but not as a trump.
- To season with Cayenne pepper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. plant bearing very hot and finely tapering long peppers; usually red
- n. ground pods and seeds of pungent red peppers of the genus Capsicum
- n. a long and often twisted hot red pepper
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The hybrid Cayenne S will cost significantly more than the standard $60,215 Cayenne S.
Yes my birth colour in Cayenne and I can say that definitely is not my favourite colour.
The variety known as the Smooth Cayenne is grown in the Papaloapan region and the Creole variety on the coast.
Porsche's long-awaited SUV, the Cayenne, is stylistically miles ahead of the urban tanks on the road today.
Entrusted by Louis XIV with a most extensive mission and jurisdiction over all the French possessions in the New World, he first redeemed Cayenne from the Dutch, restored order to the
"Although the route to Cayenne is shorter and will end my journey sooner, by diverting my route to the north and continuing a track to Georgetown, the seas should be less aggressive and, weather permitting, my hope is that it will allow me to conclude my journey as I have conducted it: Solo!" she wrote.
Porsche's SUV, known as the Cayenne, has been a hit since its launch in 2002.
Porsche makes a four-door sport-utility vehicle called the Cayenne, and this year released a four-door sedan called the Panamera (base price: $74,400) which cruises easily at 150 mph, according to one car blogger.
But the Cayenne has been a feature of our crowded roads since 2002 – a much-improved second-generation of the SUV was unleashed earlier this year.
A: The Cayenne is the best-engineered and best-handling SUV in the group, though the Mercedes is probably the most practical all-around.