from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The inner room or parlor of a house with two rooms.
- adv. Inside; within.
- prep. Within.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A prayer; a petition.
- prep. In, into.
- adj. Inner, interior.
- n. Ben-room: The inner room of a two-room hut or shack (as opposed to the but).
- n. A tree, Moringa oleifera or horseradish tree of Arabia and India, which produces oil of ben.
- n. The winged seed of the ben tree.
- n. The oil of the ben seed.
- n. Son of (used with Hebrew and Arabic surnames).
- n. A Scottish or Irish mountain or high peak.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The seed of one or more species of moringa. See moringa.
- adv. Within; in; in or into the interior; toward the inner apartment.
- n. The inner or principal room in a hut or house of two rooms; -- opposed to
but, the outer apartment.
- An old form of the pl. indic. pr. of be.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In, into, or toward the inner apartment of a house; in or into the parlor. See ben, n.
- n. The inner apartment of a house; the parlor or “room” of a dwelling consisting of a but or outer room, used as a kitchen, and a ben or inner room, used as a parlor or chamber, access to the ben being originally through the but or kitchen.
- n. A prayer; a petition.
- n. Obsolete or dialectal form of been.
- n. A mountain-peak: a word occurring chiefly in the names of many of the highest summits of the mountain-ranges which traverse Scotland north of the friths of Clyde and Forth: as, Ben Nevis, Ben Mac-Dhui, Ben Lawers, etc.
- n. The ben-nut, properly the ben-nut tree.
- n. See behen.
- In mining, inward; toward the workings.
- n. In mining: The right to enter the mine and work. A workman may claim his ben, have his right to ears acknowledged, and delegate it to his boys.
- n. Hence— A day's work. The terms quarter-ben, half-ben, three-quarters-ben are used to denote the proportion of a man's darg, or day's output of mineral, which a youth is able or allowed to put out.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mountain or tall hill
B ... dave downing: @ben -- I didn't have any resort days to ski bumps in t ... ben: any word on comparing the factor and the method? is the ...
On a lighter note, I discovered on the internet that the Japanese word ben means "feces," so at least I have that.
I'll be the first pedant to point out that big ben is the bell not the tower .... though blatantly everyone means the tower when they say big ben ... so it's a bit of a moot point sj
While Tsugaru-ben is historically interesting it has negatively impacted the economic and social developement of the region.
Richard looks the same age minus a haircut .... and ben is a good 25 years younger ....
Chuck, i like ur idea, but i dont think jacob and the degroots son (if they have one) are the same person, and that would explain why ben is their son and their is a jacob too …
Dilip said ... yep you have done it again ben ... another great gujarati dish ...
March 01, 2006 at 07: 04 PM noah, when are you and yor cousin ben coming to our next meeting?
Ben stiller in ben stiller roles is fine. ben stiller doing bill murrays role? no chance, and lets remember how good bill is at fun movies. loving his dry wit.
November 6, 2006 at 11: 21 am ben is crap he shouts not sings.