from The Century Dictionary.
- In gunnery, noting the fire of cannon at full charge against an object covered in front by a work or a natural obstacle.
- noun The act of throwing or hurling.
- noun A facing of dry stone laid upon a bank as a protection against the wash of waves or current; a lining or sheathing of masonry.
- noun In leather manufacturing, same as
bloom, 6 .
- noun In brewing, the admixture of yeast with the wort to initiate fermentation. Also called
setting the wort.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of throwing or casting; a cast; a pitch.
- noun The rough paving of a street to a grade with blocks of stone.
- noun (Hydraul. Eng.) A facing of stone laid upon a bank to prevent wear by tides or currents.
- noun (Carp.) the horizontal timber supporting the floor of a platform of a stairway, and against which the stringpieces of the sloping parts are supported.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb Present participle of
- noun The act of
- noun The rough
pavingof a streetto a gradewith blocksof stone.
- noun engineering A
facingof stonelaid upon a bankto prevent wearby tidesor currents.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun (baseball) playing the position of pitcher on a baseball team
- noun abrupt up-and-down motion (as caused by a ship or other conveyance)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"Winning the Triple Crown in pitching is great but I 'll have to think about that at another time," Johnson said.
"Whoever coined the phrase pitching is 90 percent of the game either was really smart or was stating the obvious," Quade said.
ES: The key to pitching is to keep it short and simple.
We've said the success of our pitching is the fact we didn't walk many hitters.
Usually, their pitching is at the top of the league, but their 4.18 team ERA ranks just eighth.
"He said the key to pitching is to have the ability to throw a strike when they're taking and throw a ball when the hitter is swinging."
The walking wounded sit, and the pitching is as thin as feared.
The key to pitching is to be able to throw your fastball for strikes, and that's what he did tonight.
"This pitching is as good as I've ever seen," O'Neill said.
Their hitting has started to come through and their pitching is among the best in the league.