from The Century Dictionary.
- In chem., containing lead as a constituent; more specifically, containing lead with apparently dyad valence: as, plumbous chlorid. PbCl2, as distinguished from plumbic chlorid, PbCl4.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Chem.) Of, pertaining to, or containing, lead; -- used specifically to designate those compounds in which it has a lower valence as contrasted with
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective chemistry Of, pertaining to, resembling or containing
- adjective chemistry Specifically, of
compoundsin which it has a lower valenceas contrasted with plumbiccompounds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective relating to or consisting of lead
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A mixture of two parts of heavy spar and one of the plumbous compound.
[Illustration: A male plumbous gnatcatcher feeding young] _Meagre Nests.
"spirits of salt" in soldering may have resulted in the presence of a little stannous, plumbous, or other chloride in canned food; but such a fault would soon be detected and corrected, and as a matter of fact, resin-soldering is to my knowledge more generally employed -- indeed, for anything I know to the contrary, is exclusively employed -- in canning food.