from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A heavy curtain hung across a doorway.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hanging, such as a heavy curtain, placed over a door.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A curtain hanging across a doorway.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A curtain hung at a doorway, or entrance to a room, either with the door or to replace it, to intercept the view or currents of air, etc., when the door is opened, or for mere decoration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a heavy curtain hung across a doorway
French, feminine of portier, porter, from Old French, from Late Latin portārius, from Latin porta, gate; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French portière, feminine of portier ("porter"). (Wiktionary)