from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Abnormal lowering or drooping of an organ or a part, especially a drooping of the upper eyelid caused by muscle weakness or paralysis.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A falling down or prolapse of any of the abdominal viscera. Also called
Glenard's diseaseand enteroptosis.
- A falling of the upper eyelid, or inability to raise it, due to paralysis of the levator palpebræ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Med.) Drooping of the upper eyelid, produced by paralysis of its levator muscle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
prolapseof a bodily organ, especially droopingof the eyelid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun drooping of the upper eyelid caused by muscle paralysis and weakness
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Greek ptōsis, fall, from piptein, ptō-, to fall; see pet- in Indo-European roots.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Ancient Greek πτωσις ("falling, a fall").
Sorry, no example sentences found.