from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A unit of mass in the metric system equal to 100 kilograms.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A weight of 100 pounds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A hundredweight, either 112 or 100 pounds, according to the scale used. Cf.
- noun A metric measure of weight, being 100,000 grams, or 100 kilograms, equal to 220.46 pounds avoirdupois.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun now historical A measure of weight originally equal to a hundred
pounds; later, a hundredweight.
- noun One hundred
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a unit of weight equal to 100 kilograms
- noun a United States unit of weight equivalent to 100 pounds
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English, a unit of weight, from Old French, from Medieval Latin quintāle, from Arabic qinṭār, from Late Greek kentēnarion, from Late Latin centēnārium (pondus), hundred(weight), from Latin centēnārius, of a hundred; see centenary.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Anglo-Norman quintal, Middle French quintal, from Late Latin quintale, from Arabic قنطار (qinṭār), ultimately from Latin centenarius.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.