from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something which retards or slows.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, retards.
- n. Any of various devices, as a helix of flat metal strip, introduced into a boiler tube to increase the heating effect of the fire.
- n. A substance, as potassium bromide, added to a developer to retard its action.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who retards; that which serves as a hindrance, impediment, or cause of retardation.
- n. An obstruction, usually in the form of a twisted piece of sheet-metal, placed in a boiler-flue to retard the hot gases and make them give up their heat to the water in the boiler.
- n. A device, such as a dash-pot, for checking the too rapid motion of any mechanism.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Then Tartov asked, "Lew, does Earth have something called a retarder-field?"
A retarder is a specially designed refrigerator that
Passive TVs use a patterned-retarder film, which divides the screen into alternating lines, much like an interlaced image.
Â I had mixed up blue-violet paint with gel retarder for a block print, so I rolled out the rest of it and used some rubber-tipped tools to scrape away branches, forming the monoprint of a bare-leafed tree.
I printed a stamp of the dandelion silhouettes with pigment ink, and while waiting for that to dry, mixed some interference red paint with gel retarder.
For the final details, I used a mixture of blue acrylic paint and gel retarder and commercially made rubber stamps.
Analysts also said LG's recent release of 3D TVs using its new display technology, called film-patterned retarder, or FPR, and a seasonally higher demand for air-conditioners, will help boost the company's overall earnings in the current quarter.
Halliburton said that the final test in April was performed on a slurry formulation that included eight gallons of retarder per 100 sacks of cement and that the test showed that the foam mixture was stable.
Halliburton said that BP subsequently instructed Halliburton to increase the amount of retarder in the slurry formulation from eight to nine gallons per 100 sacks of cement.
LG Display is currently using a technology called film-patterned retarder, or FPR, for 3D TVs.