from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Using the right hand more skillfully or easily than the left.
- adjective Sports Swinging from the right to the left.
- adjective Done with the right hand.
- adjective Intended for wear on or use by the right hand.
- adjective Turning or spiraling from left to right; clockwise.
- adjective Rotating clockwise; dextrorotatory.
- adverb With the right hand.
- adverb Sports From right to left.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Using the right hand more easily and readily than the left. See
- Turning so as to pass from above or in front to the right hand; clockwise: thus, an ordinary screw is driven in by a right-handed rotation; specifically, in conchology, dextral, as the spiral shell of a univalve (see cut under
- In botany, of twining plants or circumnutating parts, properly, rising or advancing in the direction of a right-handed screw or spiral, or that of the hands of a watch.
- Laid from left to right, as the strands of a rope.
- Executed by the right hand.
- On the right side; of a favorable, convenient, or easily pardoned character.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Using the right hand habitually, or more easily than the left.
- adjective Having the same direction or course as the movement of the hands of a watch seen in front; -- said of the motion of a revolving object looked at from a given direction.
- adjective (Zoöl.) Having the whorls rising from left to right; dextral; -- said of spiral shells. See
- adjective a screw, the threads of which, like those of a common wood screw, wind spirally in such a direction that the screw advances away from the observer when turned with a right-handed movement in a fixed nut.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Of one who uses their
right handin preferenceto, or more skillfullythan their left.
- adjective not comparable Intended to be
wornon, or usedby the right hand.
- adjective not comparable
Turningor spirallingfrom left to right; clockwise.
- adjective physics Of a
particlefor which the direction of its spinis the same as the direction of its motion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective rotating to the right
- adjective using or intended for the right hand
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.