from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A frame with legs, used to support pieces of wood being sawed.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A device used to temporarily raise and support pieces of material (for example, timber), especially during cutting with a saw or similar device.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A kind of rack, shaped like a double St. Andrew's cross, on which sticks of wood are laid for sawing by hand; -- called also buck, and sawbuck.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A support or rack for holding wood while it is cut by a wood-saw. Also called sawbuck or buck.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a framework for holding wood that is being sawed


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

saw + horse


  • "A sawhorse is a thing they saw boards on," remarked Jim, with a sniff.

    Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

  • Hickman had come up with the idea in 1961 after damaging a pricey Swedish armchair from Heal's while using it as an improvised sawhorse.

    In praise of… the Workmate | Editorial

  • At the centennial, they segued into an old sawhorse: John Lennon's "Imagine."

    Library Marks a Centennial

  • Visiting the Google headquarters, he was taken aback by the scene: people working at haphazardly placed sawhorse desks and the director of engineering, Urs Hölzle, playing a high-tech game of fetch with his huge dog, making the floppy beast chase the beam of a laser pointer.

    In the Plex

  • Charlie was seated behind his desk, an unpainted door held up on one end by a sawhorse and the other by a chipped file cabinet.

    Three Stages of Amazement

  • If need be, bolt it to a short 2x12 piece of lumber and set it across a folding sawhorse.

    I have a Mec Jr 600 reloader but don't have a bench to mount it to.

  • The cabinet was several inches shorter than the sawhorse, and so a book entitled Colonoscopic Procedures had been wedged underneath.

    Three Stages of Amazement

  • Behind his shoulder, on the edge of the sawhorse, I could make out a small roofline.

    The Bird House

  • In a few days you'll probably see a stack of those sawhorse barricades with lights and a few road signs stacked nearby as well.

    The Creepy Crapshack Story Contest

  • The desk is made up of sawhorse legs, which you can buy and custom-make a top in the material and size of your choice.

    An Unoffice-y Office


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Al Gore's (first) Secret Service code name...

    November 15, 2008