from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tool used for cutting thin material, consisting of two crossing blades attached at a pivot point in such a way that the blades slide across each other when the handles are closed.
- n. An attacking move conducted by two players; the player without the ball runs from one side of the ball carrier, behind the ball carrier, and receives a pass from the ball carrier on the other side.
- n. A method of skating with one foot significantly in front of the other.
- n. A scissors hold.
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of scissor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. A cutting instrument resembling shears, but smaller, consisting of two cutting blades with handles, movable on a pin in the center, by which they are held together. Often called a pair of scissors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pair of shears of medium or small size. See shears.
- n. Candle-snuffers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gymnastic exercise performed on the pommel horse when the gymnast moves his legs as the blades of scissors move
- n. a wrestling hold in which you wrap your legs around the opponents body or head and put your feet together and squeeze
- n. an edge tool having two crossed pivoting blades
In fact, it was said that they seldom left the IWW halls to go uptown into what they called the scissors belt sections of the city.
They have the same root as the word scissors, meaning they are designed, like scissors, to make a cut.
Also, rock-paper-scissors is a super simple game in terms of game theory, just throw randomly and you'll aways reach equilibrium.
In those days, all we had was tinfoil, catalog pages, boxes, home made paste, string, pieces of fabric, plain scissors, wax paper and maybe a few other things, but we used our imagination and were able to do quite a bit.
Just thinking about that little girl with scissors is enough to keep me awake at night.
Why not throw out how running with scissors is evil.
Yeah - rock paper scissors is a very applicable design strategy that Blizzard just love to use.
No doubt about how sharp this pair of scissors is -- they sank into the flesh quite handily.
For some of us the news that scissors is the best choice was established long ago when we biffed the Hun under our greatest Leader.
While Ginny went into the bathroom to wash and put on a new shirt, Myra pulled some rusty scissors from a kitchen drawer and cut up the shirt.