from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In architecture, the part of the side of an aperture from the back of the jamb or reveal to the interior of the wall.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Arch.) A squinch.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun architecture A squinch.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A small arch thrown across the corner of a square room to support a superimposed mass, as where an octagonal spire or drum rests upon a square tower. Also scuncheon or squinch.

    August 1, 2007

  • Yes, because I've always needed a word to describe that, and now I have one.

    August 2, 2007

  • See? You just never know when you'll need a profoundly obscure word like this.

    August 2, 2007

  • It makes me think of a very small scone.

    August 2, 2007