from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the order Selachii of elasmobranch fishes that includes the sharks and in some classifications also the rays and skates.
- n. A member of this order.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to the genus Selache, consisting of various sharks; shark-like.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Selachii. See Illustration in Appendix.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling or related to a shark of the genus Selache; pertaining to the Selachii, or having their characters; squaloid or raioid; plagiostomous; in the broadest sense, elasmobranchiate. See also cuts under Elasmobranchii, saw-fish, shark, and skate.
- n. A shark or other plagiostomous fish; any elasmobranch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous fishes of the class Chondrichthyes characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton and placoid scales: sharks; rays; skates
a spiny operculum, as in all but the selachian fishes, but with one of skin.