from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Taking part in a sport for pay but not on a full-time basis.
- adj. Composed of or engaged in by semiprofessional players.
- n. A semiprofessional player.
- n. One whose occupation or work has some of the characteristics of a profession or of a professional.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Paid as a professional but on a part-time basis.
- adj. Like a professional but not as skilled or experienced, more than an amateur but lower than a full professional in quality.
- n. A semiprofessional person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an athlete who plays for pay on a part-time basis
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Such "semiprofessional" gaming would still likely emerge at the player level, with player datamining "rating" games for competition, and agreeing among themselves what's fair and unfair within the league.
LONDON mdash; David Le Cluse, the chairman of an English semiprofessional soccer club caught up in Pakistan's cricket fixing scandal, has been found dead.
LONDON mdash; David Le Cluse, the chairman of an English semiprofessional soccer club caught up in Pakistan
LONDON — David Le Cluse, the chairman of an English semiprofessional soccer club caught up in Pakistan's cricket fixing scandal, has been found dead.
While many established theater companies are struggling to rebuild audiences after the recession, several semiprofessional suburban companies are coping by staging blood-spattered spoofs of old shows.
In 2004, he won $215,000 by investing in a semiprofessional poker player, Greg Raymer, who won that year's World Series of Poker.
In the piece, three semiprofessional magicians with different specialties collaborate in an effort to heal their own lives.
Willie Mays, who batted and fielded right-handed, played semiprofessional baseball when he was 16 years old and joined the Birmingham Black Barons of the Negro National League in 1948, playing only on Sunday during the school year.
Alas, the chances are that it'll be a semiprofessional or amateur production.
I don't want you to think my boys were overly influenced by me; with a former semiprofessional soccer player for a dad, their main focus was and is Manchester United and Chelsea.