from The Century Dictionary.
- An interjection indicating contempt, especially a contemptuous rejection of some suggestion or remark: as, oh, shucks! I don't believe it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- interjection colloquial Exclamatory response to a minor disappointment.
- interjection colloquial, sarcastic Response to a minor pleasure.
- interjection colloquial A receding or mock expression of
- noun Plural form of
- verb Third-person singular simple present indicative form of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an expression of disappointment or irritation
- noun something of little value
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But you must remember me only the other day you reprimanded me for a posting I made about your American friend,I in return used the American word "shucks" in a comment as a gesture of friendship,remember me now ?
Oh yeah, and it doesn't go without saying: "shucks" for the praise...
I used the word "shucks" did you notice ? an American word, to offer a hand of friendship across the sea as it were.
POWELL: The most I ever saw him do is maybe say, "shucks" over some particular problem that had occurred during that day or some story in the newspaper that troubled him.
Don struggled to explain how little and how much "shucks" could mean.
_ Told the children yesterday that I wanted them to bring me some corn "shucks," as they call them, which are all left on the stalks in the fields.
If we had ep-p-zu-dit we used different things to make tea out of, such as shucks, cow chips, hog hoofs, cow hoofs.
British baronets don't say 'sure,' 'shucks' or vamoose. '
But that it amounts to more than "shucks," despite the footman's epigram, is presently apparent when the staff-officer comes more slowly back, easing his panting horse.
She eyed it furtively, then sniffed it suspiciously, but finally discovered that it bore some relation to her native "shucks," when she fell to eagerly.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.