from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The tendency to oversimplify an issue or a problem by ignoring complexities or complications.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The trait of oversimplifying things by ignoring complexity and complications.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The advocacy or cultivation of simplieity; hence, an affected or labored simplicity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an act of excessive simplification; the act of making something seem simpler than it really is
- n. a simplification that goes too far (to the point of misrepresentation)
By non-fundamentalist, I mean he opposes "simplism" or simple minded thinking.
The economic situation is very much like that, and the ranting you hear about how it's going has major components grounded in simplism.
Perhaps its because rather than insight and thoughtfulness, Greenwald and his black-and-white philosophical simplism comforts those who are too lazy or too insecure to do the heavy-lifting it would require to wrap their minds around complex issues, most of which resist being corraled into highly partisan explanations.
Despite his descent into simplism and banality in his later work, this poem shows the brilliant talent he possessed as a young poet.
Union would be historical simplism, because no man by himself could have created certain conditions.
Blaming him for everything that happened would be historical simplism.
Your analysis falls into the typical simplism of those who dont understand the complexity of our HCS and tends to be trivialize it in a simple argument of Amricans being backward and caring more for their money than their country's health and so on.
A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism.
The issue of Clark’s supposed flip-flop on the war is as Josh Marshall says part of the media’s apparent embrace of “simplism as the new integrity.”
"But we are threatened today by a new simplism which consists in reducing everything to the war on terrorism.