from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A glaze or filler; size.
  • noun Treatment of a fabric or other surface with size.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The act or process of applying size or preparing with size.
  • noun Size prepared for use in any mechanical trade
  • noun Any act or process indicated by size, verb
  • noun Specifically, in university use:
  • noun An order for extra food or drink from the buttery.
  • noun Any article so ordered; a size.
  • noun In mining, sorting the crushed or stamped ores into grains of various sizes, in order that a more perfect separation of the various mineral and metalliferous substances of which the ore is made up may afterward be effected by the use of such ore-dressing or separating apparatus as may be considered suitable for the purpose.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun Act of covering or treating with size.
  • noun A weak glue used in various trades; size.
  • noun The act of sorting with respect to size.
  • noun The act of bringing anything to a certain size.
  • noun (Univ. of Cambridge, Eng.) Food and drink ordered from the buttery by a student.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A gelatinous glue for glazing or sizing canvas, paper, plaster or wood; often made from animal skins.
  • noun paste
  • noun UK, dated food and drink ordered from the buttery by a student
  • verb Present participle of size.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun any glutinous material used to fill pores in surfaces or to stiffen fabrics


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • a material applied to the surfact of porous material such as cloth or paper to fill the pores

    July 24, 2007