from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Small children.
- n. Young or small fish.
- n. Persons or things regarded as unimportant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One or more small or immature fish.
- n. One or more children.
- n. One or more persons or things of relatively little consequence, importance, or value.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who is small and insignificant
- n. a young person of either sex
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I could show Woodvale how to use our small fry against enemy ships-of-the-line and frigates … like hornets harrying a herd of bulls!
What with the strong, far-leaping fish, and the agile, acrobatic birds, the existence of the small fry is one of perplexity and terror.
This Lukos may be small fry in Knossos, for all his airs.